Unfortunately, most people are unaware that they have deep vein thrombosis until they seek emergency treatment for a pulmonary embolism. At Advanced Heart and Vein Center, we are committed to raising awareness of this common medical condition and helping patients understand their risk for blood clots.
Quick Facts About DVT
Here are a few quick facts about DVT/PE in oncology, according to the National Blood Clot Alliance:
- It is estimated that up to 600,000 people in the United States are affected by DVT/PE each year, and that up to 100,000 Americans die each year due to DVT/PE.
- 10% to 30% of people affected by DVT/PE will die within one month of diagnosis.
- In about 25% of people who experience a PE, the first “symptom” is sudden death.
- Among people who have had a DVT, one-third will have long-term complications, such as swelling, pain, discoloration, and scaling in the affected limb.
- One-third (about 33%) of people with DVT/PE will have a recurrence within 10 years.